Current:Home > InvestNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -MoneyMatrix
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 15:41:53
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (48)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- Shooting at grocery store in south Arkansas kills 2 and wounds 8 others, police say
- How Prince William Has Been Supporting Kate Middleton Throughout Her Health Battle
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- The Supreme Court rules against California woman whose husband was denied entry to US
- California county that tried to hand-count ballots picks novice to replace retiring elections chief
- Lakers hire J.J. Redick as head coach
- Bodycam footage shows high
- 190 pounds of meth worth $3.4 million sniffed out by K9 officer during LA traffic stop
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Chef Gordon Ramsay says he wouldn't be here without his helmet after cycling accident left him badly bruised
- Taylor Swift put out a fire in her NYC apartment: Watch Gracie Abrams' video of the ordeal
- The fight for abortion rights gets an unlikely messenger in swing state Pennsylvania: Sen. Bob Casey
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Thousands of refugees in Indonesia have spent years awaiting resettlement. Their future is unclear
- Polyamory seems more common among gay people than straight people. What’s going on?
- New Mexico judge weighs whether to compel testimony from movie armorer in Alec Baldwin trial
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Luke Combs Tearfully Reveals Why He Missed the Birth of Son Beau
2 planes collide in midair in Idaho: 1 pilot killed, other has 'life threatening' injuries
Lockheed Martin subsidiaries reach $70 million settlement for claims they overcharged Navy for parts
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Bodies of Air Force colonel and Utah man are recovered after their plane crashed in an Alaska lake
Prison, restitution ordered for ex-tribal leader convicted of defrauding Oglala Sioux Tribe
This week on Sunday Morning (June 23)