Current:Home > reviewsPoinbank:Prosecutors reveal a reason for Capitol rioter’s secretive sentencing: His government cooperation -MoneyMatrix
Poinbank:Prosecutors reveal a reason for Capitol rioter’s secretive sentencing: His government cooperation
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:33:15
A Pennsylvania man’s guilty plea and Poinbankprison sentence for attacking police during the U.S. Capitol riot has remained under seal for months, but a court filing on Monday reveals a reason for the unusual secrecy: He cooperated with federal authorities after the Jan, 2021, siege.
Prosecutors want to keep certain details of Samuel Lazar’s cooperation under wraps, but they have acknowledged for the first time that he supplied the government with information as part of a plea agreement.
Publicly releasing information that Lazar provided could interfere with ongoing investigations, according to a joint court filing by prosecutors and Lazar’s attorney. The filing, which is dated Friday but was docketed on Monday, also says Lazar “named individuals responsible for criminal conduct who may not have been charged.”
More than 1,100 people have been charged with Jan. 6-related crimes, and hundreds of them have pleaded guilty. But it is rare for records of a guilty plea and sentence to be sealed, even in cases involving a defendant’s cooperation. Court hearings and records are supposed to be open and available to the public unless there’s a compelling need for secrecy.
Lazar, 37, of Ephrata, Pennsylvania, was released from federal custody on Sept. 13 after serving a 30-month prison sentence. His cooperation with the government was discussed at a March 2023 sentencing hearing that was closed to the public, the joint filing says.
A coalition of news outlets, including The Associated Press, on Friday renewed its request for the court to unseal records of Lazar’s guilty plea and punishment. Prosecutors and Lazar’s attorney are asking for 30 days to redact records of his cooperation before they are publicly released.
U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who sentenced Lazar, didn’t immediately rule on either request.
In May, Jackson had rejected the initial request from media outlets to release any sealed records that may exist. Jackson said the case law cited by the press coalition “plainly recognizes that there may be circumstances where a need for secrecy can be outweighed by competing significant interests.”
Lazar was arrested in July 2021 on charges that he came to the Capitol on Jan. 6 dressed in tactical gear and protective goggles and used chemical spray on officers who were trying to hold off the mob of Donald Trump supporters.
Videos captured Lazar approaching police lines outside the Capitol and discharging an orange chemical irritant toward officers, an FBI agent said in a court filing. Lazar shouted profane insults at police through the bullhorn, calling them tyrants and yelling, “Let’s get their guns!”
Lazar remained jailed for nearly two years before his sentencing. A magistrate judge who ordered Lazar’s detention concluded that his pretrial release would pose “a concrete, prospective threat to public safety.”
Attorneys for the news outlets questioned why records of Lazar’s guilty plea and sentence remained under seal even after his release from prison.
“The press, the public, and presumably even the police victims of Lazar’s violence on January 6 therefore have no idea how or why this January 6 riot participant, deemed just a couple of years ago to be too dangerous to release, is now free,” the lawyers wrote on Friday.
As recently as last month, the Justice Department refused to say why the case remains under wraps, while attorneys for Lazar did not respond to multiple requests for comment from The AP.
veryGood! (978)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Sam Bankman-Fried pleads not guilty to fraud and other charges tied to FTX's collapse
- These 35 Belt Bags Under $35 Look So Much More Expensive Than They Actually Are
- Southwest Airlines' holiday chaos could cost the company as much as $825 million
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Planet Money Movie Club: It's a Wonderful Life
- How Tom Holland Really Feels About His Iconic Umbrella Performance 6 Years Later
- A golden age for nonalcoholic beers, wines and spirits
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- All the Stars Who Have Weighed In on the Ozempic Craze
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- These Drugstore Blushes Work Just as Well as Pricier Brands
- With Sen. Kyrsten Sinema’s Snubbing of the Democrats’ Reconciliation Plans, Environmental Advocates Ask, ‘Which Side Are You On?’
- The attack on Brazil's Congress was stoked by social media — and by Trump allies
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- The never-ending strike
- Energy Regulator’s Order Could Boost Coal Over Renewables, Raising Costs for Consumers
- BP Pledges to Cut Oil and Gas Production 40 Percent by 2030, but Some Questions Remain
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Larry Nassar stabbed multiple times in attack at Florida federal prison
James Lewis, prime suspect in the 1982 Tylenol murders, found dead
Buying a home became a key way to build wealth. What happens if you can't afford to?
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
UFC Fighter Conor McGregor Denies Sexually Assaulting Woman at NBA Game
Goldman Sachs is laying off as many as 3,200 employees this week
Has Conservative Utah Turned a Corner on Climate Change?